Acadeka and that rum cake

Monday, May 15, 2006

Carrera

My new favorite place in the city is a small tapas place. "Carrera". I am hooked.

My first visit stemmed from a jolly mistake - I thought the Bar Veloce right next door was the tapas place I was looking for! I had invited a friend and we each had a glass of rose and a three-tiered finger sandwich - just the mention of the word "finger sandwich" sends me into spasms of joy - I can eat several of these but we ate only one and then as she left first, discovered that Carrera was right next door.

We entered and polished off three dishes, dessert and sangria. Smitten - is the word.

Three days later, I took a friend who had come from abroad. Apart from the food, the best part was that Led Zeppelin was being played as we walked inside and that was prophetic to us enjoying the food all the more.

I was there this evening with a first-timer who enjoyed it and am going there tomorrow with another friend who has heard all about it....from me.

The food is yummy. Simply and tastefully plated.

So far I have tried:

tuna and salmon mousse encased in a pequillo pepper bathed in a smoky green olive oil - the orange and red colors glistening on the plate

sangria, infused with berries served with a plump strawberry skewered on top of the long, thin spoon

thick chunks of white tuna on a bamboo skewer with a piece of artichoke and a tiny hot green pepper at one end

warm sauteed slices of morcilla and chorizo - the morcilla tastes like an eathy salty mushroom

sliced baguette topped with a layer of thick creamy cheese, sliced salmon and a dollop of black caviar served on a plate drizzled with honey

plate of Spanish ham


My plan is to go once a week or more as the plates of food are inexpensive (the only expensive part is the sangria in my case - I don't bother with the sherries or the wine here) and go down the menu one by one and pick out my favorites and keep eating them.

What will I have tomorrow? A few of the above and one or two new ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home