Acadeka and that rum cake

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Sheer Bliss

Sheer Bliss is a drug in the form of an ice cream. From Florida. Florida?

I have become an addict.

It comes in a round tin and is peppered with descriptions and also has a warning sign - the kind that come on forbidden delights, like alcohol and cigarettes - this one plainly tells you that "one taste will change your life".

It has changed mine.

In saner moments, I think of the first time I saw this tin at Garden of Eden. I love finding out about new ice creams that come into the market. When I saw the price of SB at a whopping $6.99, I stopped and put the tin back. After walking around the store debating, I told myself that one purchase wouldn't hurt the bank and could not possibly rival other excellent ones like Il Laboratorio di Gelato which thankfully isn't available readily. It requires a trek to Orchard Street.

The flavors are few:

"freedom" - translation vanilla with blueberry and pomegranate swirls (my favorite)
plain vanilla
vanilla with pomegranate swirl
Mediterranean coffee (a close runner-up)
chocolate

What is it about this ice cream that has made me demented?

It's best taken out and thawed for a little under ten minutes and then when it is slightly soft at the edges but still firm in the center, put a spoonful in your mouth. It is delicate, creamy, decadent, lush. One bite and I want another and another and another....

As of today, I have bought at least 8 tins - 7 of which have been "freedom" and have been using the empty tins to store odds and ends. I don't hide them - that would be peculiar. I gave one away to a friend who heard me rhapsodising about this treat. She wants to see what the fuss is all about.

Another friend is upset that I actually spend so much on this particular one when Haagen-Daaz is good and priced sensibly. He has promised to try it for himself.

Is there an ice cream therapist around? I have just finished the second half of the coffee ice cream that I bought yesterday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home