Acadeka and that rum cake

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Eggnog

About 8 years ago, a Christmas market started in Union Square right after Thanksgiving. Winter had already set in. It was bitterly cold and a Saturday morning. I was browsing through the market when I spied a stall where Remy Martin was trying to promote its brandy. They were pouring bottles and bottles of Ronnybrook's eggnog in a vast tub and then emptying vast quantities of their brandy and stirring the brew together. Free glasses of the concoction were being handed out liberally. I had one glass - it was delicious. Walked around for a while and then had a second glass. By the time I finished, I had drunk 5 glasses and suddenly realized that the world certainly looked like a brighter place but it was slowly spinning! I gingerly made my way home warmed with a cozy feeling but a little shaky and had a 3 hour siesta and woke up with a hazy rememberance of what had occured that afternoon. Needless to say, I told very few people of this story incase my reputation got tarnished. I often wondered what Chef S. would think if he ever heard this story. He would probably shake his head in utter disbelief and then send an email to every chef in the city warning them....of the lush who would soon be asking for a job. The other chefs would probably have a belly laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home