Acadeka and that rum cake

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

La Chasse

A few years ago in the quest for a male companion, I found myself in a quandary as the usual ways of meeting members of the opposite sex had changed. Online dating was suggested. A beginner and rather shy despite the anonymity of this device, a friend helped me compose what I thought was an innocent but humorous advertisement. Little did I realize what would ensue!

“Cosmopolitan pastry pro with a passion for chocolate wants to make decorated sugar cookies and petit fours till you burst! Of course, this would be after a scrumptious main course with me serving you wrapped in parchment paper with basil leaves behind each ear and a touch of oregano behind my neck. Hurry and reply because this tantalizing tart can't wait forever. I'm hot, hot, hot! Sense of humor is a must. Late 30's to mid-50's. Age/race no bar, but I'm Indian.

My humor is unique. I do love to laugh and enjoy food a great deal. Even though my posting could be considered unconventional, I am serious in seeking someone to share some laughs with, talk about food and see what happens from there.”


I received fifty one replies – quite a feat for a first posting! It took a few days to go through it all. It was touching to note how many “foodies” reside in this city – there was one man who wrote that he was just about to put a Godiva (ugh!) chocolate in his mouth and fell off the chair when he read the ad as he couldn’t believe anyone could possibly write this! That made me laugh and wished he could have eaten a better tasting chocolate.

Some replies made me blush to the roots - unfortunately some hapless readers assumed that I would "serving them" in a most peculiar way dressed in god alone knows what outfits - these were deleted double quick.

Despite meeting up with one or two interested parties, I found that the evening was spent avidly discussing the culinary arts and everything else seemed to fall away.

So "la chasse" is still on as there is one thing that I would above all like - to meet a passionate chef who would cook for me for a change instead of it always being the other way around!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's hilarious that you would write someone off because he was eating Godiva chocolate! How do you know he didn't bring it directly from Belgium, where it is vastly superior to what we get here? The poor man was probably actually eating a Snickers bar but was trying to impress you with the best candy he had ever heard of...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home