Acadeka and that rum cake

Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Pleasures of Celeriac Remoulade

This knobby vegetable had no place in my weekly shopping list at the farmer's market. A lack of knowledge was the main culprit, till a friend explained how tasty it was once you got past the arduous task of peeling it with care so as to avoid waste. I brought one home and stood staring at it with knife in hand. It looked hairy and peculiar to me. The peeling, slicing and cutting took quite a bit of time at first but then I followed a simple recipe and couldn't believe just how tasty it was.

The best way I like it is cut into match-stick pieces blanched briefly in salted water and paired with a creamy dressing. My favorite is a remoulade sauce. Mustard, gherkins, capers and chopped herbs mixed with mayonnaise. Hellman's did just fine for me. Then into the fridge to marinate.

At one point some five years ago, I made celeriac remoulade every week so that I could eat some for both lunch and dinner. I loved the taste - the sharp flavor of the celeriac paired with the tangy dressing. Ooh! I couldn't get enough.

When I began to eat it with eggs for breakfast, I knew I had to stop - at least for a little while, till the following winter....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home