Acadeka and that rum cake

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Last Meal

Some years ago I had seen a book which gave the last meals that famous people wanted before they died. It was fascinating and reminded me of the true detective magazines I used to read when I was younger. I was only interested in the death row inmates who were to be executed as they were granted a "last meal". That meal was the highlight of the story! I found that all the Americans wanted was Southern fried chicken, French fries and apple pie a la mode. How boring - I wanted more variety but there it was.

The English prisoners would have steak and kidney pudding with a steamed jam sponge to finish with cream. I would read and re-read the piece imagining some fine cooking going on in the prison kitchen and relishing each morsel as the words passed my eyes. I didn't care about the men - only what their tastes were like.

So last week I asked Brendan and Leland what they wanted for their last meal? Brendan said that he wanted a whole lot of heroin and by the time he had injested the lot, he wouldn't be in a fit state to decide if he wanted anything or not!

On the other hand, Leland said that he wanted some peyote and my salted caramel cheesecake. I was both surprised and touched at his admission. Knowing that he isn't partial to having dessert, this was indeed a compliment that I wanted etched in stone - hence it has it's place here.

What do I want for my last repast? I have thought about it over several months and pondered about short ribs, duck, fois gras - oh, the multitude of choice! So I have boiled down to at least 8 courses and right now only have a few to show - all these will be miniscule sizes so that I can relish the food without keeling over with an angina attack.

Escargots napped with a rendition of garlic, fresh herbs, white wine (preferably a Reisling) and lots of butter and olive oil - mopped up with a little warm baguette

followed or preceded by:

Seared fois gras with a tangy confit and not much else

a fresh salad to cleanse the palate

and more to follow after much thought at a later date.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home